Wednesday, October 28, 2009

The Hardest Thing

Until today THIS was the hardest post I had ever written. I am not sure if the following post will be harder but it is bad and one of the worst things I have had to write about.
Our journey in the Army has been interesting...to say the least. We have shared the trials with some of you and others we have just kinda skimmed over. Basically, about 18 months ago my husband re-enlisted because he wanted to serve our country and yes, even be deployed, if nothing else than to give another daddy a year home with his kids and to leave a legacy for ours. He started in March 2008 with OCS and passed with flying colors. Onto BOLC II at Ft. Sill, sailed on through. He came to Knox for Armor BOLC III and for 3 1/2 months did well but did not make the grade on his last 10 days. They signed us up for another try and again, he did good-great during the 3 1/2 months but got a "no-go" on the last 10 days. Since then we were told we were being given a branch transfer. We were real excited because we both felt he would be great in a non-combat arms branch. Yesterday the army sent our world crashing down around us. My husband went into an office and was told "We are kicking you out." Yep. As in we will soon be unemployed, with kids, with debt and no prospects of income. As if that is not bad enough, he just texted and said we may only have 2 weeks. What do we do? How do we deal with this? How do we fight the government? I am not sure we even have any options. Neither of us slept well and we just feel so sick. We never saw this coming and we are in trouble. People keep telling me God has a plan, He will work this for good, but to be totally honest that is a little hard to see from where I am sitting. We are trying to be strong for each other and I must admit I feel a SMALL tingle of excitement to see where we end up but mostly I am petrified. Please keep us in your prayers.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately it sounds like some information is missing. After your DH was recycled into a 2nd BOLC III class, he should have been informed of the what-ifs, etc. BOLC is not set up to see people fail. Unless he failed for failing the AFPT, if that is indeed the case the reaon he failed an APFT might be considered. I'm not sure what his rank was as enlisted, but if you fail OCS, you obviously are not commissioned and you go back to being enlisted, they don't just toss you out. Another option is to talk to the chaplin and see if there is anything else that can be done or other options. He can also talk to his enlisted branch to see if he can return to being enlisted. There are options, no one is ever kicked out with 2 weeks. Something else is going on, which you may or may not be aware of. Even to kick someone out of Basic fur failing army values or failing their final APFT takes more than 2 weeks. I know, i was a CO. In any case, your DH would have been counseled when he was recylced into BOLC III and given possible outcomes should he fail. while i don't envy your position, there are options to consider: chaplin, JAG, his former CO or E8 who wrote his OCS recommendation. Do you know the Chapter they plan on using for separation? Konwing that information will help you figure out the correct path. If they are seeking a Chapter 15 or 10 (discharge in lieu of courts marshall) disciplinary action towards your DH that is another being all together and get yourselves to JAG ASAP. Do NOT give any information without a lawyer with you. If they are planning on discharging him find out what type: Honorable, Dishonorable, Other than Honorable. There are LOTS of things to find out before you freak out further.

Trinka said...

I like toodydolly's comment ... he or she sounds like they KNOW their stuff.

Praying for wisdom, and direction.

Cathy said...

Oh, Kristen. I am so sorry. i will definitely be praying for your family. Let us know if there is anything we can do for you guys.

Andrea said...

Kristen -
I am so sorry to hear this news. Life can take so many twists and turns that are difficult to understand. It sounds like toodydolly has some great advice for you and your family. Keep me posted and let me know if you need anything!! I am praying for all of you guys.

Anonymous said...

Praying for you and that God will
open the new door for you.
Love, Mom

Kim M. said...

Sorry you're world has been turned upside down! I'm adding you to my prayer list. I know God has a plan but understand how difficult it is when life takes unexpected turns. Let me know if I can help out!

Stacey said...

Oh my gosh. I cannot believe the army could do that! I think you should def. look into it more b/c I think toodydolly knows what he/she is talking about. I hope it works out for you. I can't see how they can just kick him out. There were people in my hubby's basic training that were getting chaptered out and it took months and months. I can't see it taking two weeks. I'll be praying for all of you and thinking of you. Keep me updated.

Unknown said...

(((HUGS))). I understand about sudden unemployment, given our recent experience. Ours was not Army, of course, so it sounds like Toodydolly is a better source for info and advice from that regard. But if you need an ear, I'm here. When my husband first lost his job, my whole world entered a tailspin--we'd just had a baby, and I was totally freaking out. It's okay to grieve and to question and to have to work through it. Praying for you!!

Unknown said...

No there is no data missing here. This is how the Army now operates. I am in the same boat. Here is often how the situation plays out.

NCO wants to be officer, lets say he is a Combat Veteran, Airborne, etc. He drops a packet and then then gets accepted to OCS. He completes OCS, BOLC II, and Fails BOLC III. After the first failure he has one other chance then he/she is out for good. Furthermore, the government will require some form of monetary reimbursement.

Lets also not overlook another very important factor in all of this. I am an Infantryman and always have been. I had no choice (they let you pick 10 branches you think you would like) in what that would be. I got Field Artillery, which has the highest recycle rate of the branches. I would rather be an NCO than a FA officer after learning more about the branch.

The Army in its wisdom has stopped all Soldiers from Re-Branching into something more suitable. Therefore, Im out too? I made a 3.33 GPA in my undergraduate work ONLY because of my problems with Mathematics.

The American People have very little idea of how the Army is managing its Officers.

I never joined the Military for the money, because the pay is nothing compared to what I can make on the Civilian side of the house. I just wanted to serve and protect what is true and good. I have done my part and been in direct contact with the enemy to prove that fact....now Im getting the boot for being terrible with math. Wow, gladly.