Saturday, November 22, 2008

Bye-Bye

Another post on Selective Mutism here. Saying "Bye" to others is something we all do all the time. We never give it a second thought. Unless you happen to be a parent of a child with Selective Mutism. One of the common traits with these children is that they do not usually say "hi" or "bye". Yesterday I took the girls to a playland and we ended up staying for almost 3 hours. Both of the girls were talking and laughing and wearing themselves out! Mostly it was the talking that thrilled me. Now, something else you need to know is that when they leave the door to a playland, they cease talking to the kids they have been playing with. Yesterday though, as their friend was leaving I said, "Say bye to Allison." Our oldest said LOUDLY, "BYE!" I about passed out! Obviously, I did not say anything, but when I told my hubby, he said I had to blog it. You cannot imagine what a huge thing this is. She struggles to say "bye" to anyone and to the best of our knowledge this is the first time she has said by to a friend and def. the first time she talked to a child outside of the playland area. I was ecstatic!!!!

1 comment:

Trinka said...

woo hoo!!! That's wonderful!

What makes the playland a "safe" place to talk, and outside the playland a "not safe" place? I would have thought all the other kids would make them want to be quiet.

It's such a puzzling condition!