Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Our Poor Baby

My sister-in-law came into town today to help us out. We are SO thankful she did. We took the Genius for her check up. It was all kinds of terrible. First, the plastic surgeon had some emergency procedures and was running 2 hours behind. So we sat for about 2 hours waiting and waiting. That was the nice part. We went back and they pulled out all 40+ of her stitches and every single one had embedded in her skin. Every single stitch caused her to scream in pain. She laid there on the table with her big blue eyes silently begging her daddy to help her. It was TERRIBLE! She was screaming and I was bawling. Then he wanted to re-open her nose wound. My husband told me I better sit down and I was so glad I did. He basically took a scalpel and scraped off all the skin that was healing. He took more pictures and then showed us the pictures of the night of the accident. We had seen her then, but these were the pre-surgery pics. We had no idea the extent of the damage until we saw these. They literally took my breath away. They were awful. I just feel SO darn bad for our Genius. She is so obedient and even when they were hurting her she did just what they said. She was shaking and screaming and hyperventilating. To top it off.. she gets to do this ALL again after her skin graft. This really stinks. To make it even better.... we learned she is allergic to band-aid adhesive. So, all the clean parts of her nose are now blistering and bleeding. I am sorry. I know this sounds down, but it was so sad. I want all this behind her and I want to make it all better for her. Her next surgery will be next week sometime. Please keep our girl in your prayers.

8 comments:

Belinda said...

Oh Kristen, I cried reading your post. My heart breaks for her. I know that had to be so hard for her and you and Cliff. Was the band aid adhesive what was causing the spots you noticed on her nose? I'm just glad the appt is behind you and am praying the next one goes better. {{{HUGS}}}

Clifford Jeffery said...

Yes, it was the adhesive. Who knew???? I am off to google it see how we can help her.

miranda said...

Sorry to read this terrible day you've had. Poor thing and poor mommy too. Praying for you all!!

Kristan said...

Oh dear God I pray for you and her. I am in tears for you just thinking about it. Isn't there something they can do, like put her to sleep for the next visit, or give her good pain meds? I'll put you on our prayer list at church!

Morgan said...

Oh Kristen! I am praying for you all! I am teary eyed now too thinking about how sweet Kayla is, and how much she has already been through with this.. Another treat for her next week, so let me know what day the surgery is going to be.. Love yall!

Vikki said...

I am so sorry for all that you are all going through. My heart breaks thinking about all of it. I am continuing to lift you all up in prayer.

dacaciabee said...

I thought you could use some words of encouragement...OK, so the doc says her nose can't be fixed back the way it was -- but maybe it can be fixed better than it ever was! My husband, when he was younger, took a nosedive into a sidewalk that basically knocked his nose off his face. I've seen pictures, it looked horrible. But a plastic surgeon fixed his nose and now it looks even better than mine (which has been broken twice). I hope that happens for your little Genius too.
But remember, if it turns out they well and truly can't "fix" her nose, then those who love her now and in the future will love her no matter what her nose looks like.

Unknown said...

Ugh, I am so sorry! :( I will keep praying...hopefully you'll get good news of some sort soon!