Wednesday, January 9, 2008

First time at dentist

Today was our three year old's FIRST trip to the dentist and she did great! She did everything they asked of her and she left happy! Oh, cavity-free too, I should add. BUT for those of you who know her and her history you may guess that I have more to say. They kept checking her bite. I sat there all confident that it was due to her thumb-sucking. However, he looked at me said, "This little girl needs a referral to an orthodontist." WHAT?!?!?!?!?!? Yeah. She has a small overbite due to the aforementioned thumb-sucking, which he said is no biggie. Ideally, she could quit sucking her thumb, but that is not the problem. The problem is that she is trying to compensate for the overbite by shifting her whole jaw over. If left unattended he said it could create long term jaw and facial problems. YIKES! I guess in February we'll be heading to the orthodontist! Fun, fun. But I should have expected this. She is the queen of abnormal doctor appointments!!! =)

No comments: