Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Baby's First Appointment

Today was quite possibly one of the slowest days ever.  Today was our first appointment for this pregnancy.  If you have ever lost a baby, you will know the level of nerves I had.  I was sick to my stomach all morning and the time was just dragging.  Finally it was time to go.  Luckily, my husband had the day off and he was able to go with me.  It was nice driving with the wind in our hair.  He kept me laughing and talking and the trip went pretty quickly.  We were called back and had to wait maybe 10 minutes to be seen.  The doctor came in and knew I was nervous.  The minute our baby popped onto the ultrasound screen she said, "THERE'S THE HEARTBEAT!!!"  Sure enough we saw a small sweet head, little arm buds and a flashing, beating heart!!!!  I was crying tears of joy and honestly felt like I just couldn't breathe.  I had kept bracing for bad news and there was nothing but great news!!! The baby is measuring exactly on track.  We are 6 weeks 4 days and the baby was measuring 6 weeks 5 days! The doctor said it all looks just perfect.  This pregnancy is going to be more closely monitored.  I will, for at least the next 10 weeks, be going in for weekly blood draws.  And every other week we will get an ultrasound just to check on the baby and partially to calm our nerves.  After the appointment I just felt like skipping and screaming.  We celebrated by getting a small treat at McDonald's together and then came back home.  I know I am going to be more nervous with this baby but I am as relaxed as I will get and celebrating our new baby! We feel so blessed by this little one already.

No comments: