Friday, May 27, 2011

Book Review "The Reluctant Queen"



I recently received the book “The Reluctant Queen” by Joan Wolf.  The book is based on the true story of Esther from the Bible.  From the moment I opened the book, I was drawn into this timeless tale and Esther is one of my favorites in the Bible.  The book certainly brought the characters to life and it was an excellent read.  I was hardly able to put it down and finished it in just over one day.  However, I must say, the book left me with a sour taste in my mouth.  Yes, I realize it is a fiction book and simply based on the Bible story, but the author had Esther marry a fictional king, not King Xerxes.  There were other elements too that she took fairly large liberties with.  I found this to be very unnecessary.  Joan Wolf addresses this in the end of her book, but for a product being carried in Christian Bookstores, I was disappointed.  In summary, good read, but sadly lacking in truthful historical details.

1 comment:

Captain Cleavage said...

I just finished reading it and I felt the same way...