Tuesday, February 19, 2013

When a Great Day Goes Bad

Today started off real nice.  Our Linebacker is 2 months old now!  He went to bed last night and he was a bit...snorty.  During the night he a little trouble nursing.  I actually had a job interview this morning and was gone for his first feeding.  When I got home, my husband left and I went to nurse the baby.  He could not latch on and seemed to be breathing awfully hard.  I was worried but we already had his two month check up scheduled.  I pumped and put it in a bottle to take with us.  I dropped the big kids off with my dad, got some gas and then took the Linebacker in for his appointment.  The doctor came in and heard the Linebacker.  He started listening to his chest and watching his belly.  His next words almost stopped my heart.  He said, "Do you feel safe driving?"  I said, "I think so."  He said, "You need to take him to the ER. Now.  If you cannot go straight there I need to get him an ambulance."  I almost lost it.  I heard the words RSV and pneumonia.  My brain was on overload.  I loaded him up, called my dad, my husband and my mom.  We got the ER and ther were expecting us.  They heard him breathing but were not quite as concerned as our doctor.  My mom was there with us and hearing their lack of concern made me feel a bit better.  They did x-rays, tested for RSV and influenza.  Everything came back clear and normal.  But he still seemed yucky, was spitting up a lot and not eating.  They brought in a thing to suck out his nose and they got yellow gunk out.  Immediately he settled and was ready to eat.  Long story short....he had snot.  They said a virus.  A virus that presents as RSV but without complications.  Now we are home and resting and I am totally drained.  To calm myself down.....chocolate and Downton Abbey.

4 comments:

Trinka said...

Oh my goodness! I'm so glad he's OK. Sure wish the doc could have figured that out at the office and saved you a lot of stress!

Kim M. said...

Whew! Glad he's ok! Scary for our little bitty ones to be sick!

StephieD said...

Oh gosh that's scarey! That happened with Monster too, remember? He was a bit older, but I thought I was going to have a heart attack on the way to the ER! :(
I'm soooo glad he's better now though!!!

Unknown said...

Ugh, how scary! Glad it all worked out in the end!