Wednesday, January 23, 2013

4th Grade Thoughts

The Genius is in the 4th grade.  She is rapidly entering that in-between time.  Not quite little girl and not yet a ready to leave behind toys and things.  She will be 10 this year and if you want to make my husband and I cry, just remind us that she is over halfway done living at home.  Major sniff, sniff.
Anyways, she still does and says things that are so cute and I wanted to get down a few of them.
She is like her mom (me) in her love for reading.  She rapidly outgrew younger books and was ready to tackle slightly older books.  First she read, The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe by C.S. Lewis.  She loved it and is currently reading book 2.  She mentioned to me about Edward eating the Turkish Delight.  I said, "Neat! Maybe we could make some together!".  In total sincerity, she says, "Oh Mommy, we can never make that.  Remember?  The White Witch said it was 'enchanted turkish delight' and we do not know magic Mommy."  LOL!
The other thing is that she has been reading The Red Scarf Girl.  This is a non-fiction book about the Cultural Revolution in China.  Now, we did buy our kids this book, but I did read it before giving it to them.  It just so happened as the Genius was reading this book, in home-school we began studying Karl Marx and capitalism vs communism.  Every day I ask about what she read in the book and if she is scared or has any questions.  The other day she said, "No.  It does not scare me.  But I really understand why communism is so wrong.  I mean, basically, you are in charge of nothing and you get no choices in anything.  And then, if someone decides you are wrong they send you to jail.  And the only way to get out is to say how bad you are...even though you don't even believe it.  Then you get out of jail and go back to find out your life is even worse.  I really like capitalism and am glad to live in America."  I LOVED this!  First off, I am just so proud of her for reading this and grasping these concepts.  Secondly, what a great definition!!! Adults try to fancify definitions and give long explanations but I think she pretty well hit it on the head.
So proud of our girl!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Our daughter is in 4th grade too and is the same way. I guess you can say we are definitely in the "Tween" years :)